As I told you, we had a ton of snow last Sunday. It was a real branch breaker and I am so sad for all the flowering trees! Tons of broken branches everywhere. I noticed that some trees that don't have really long, skinny branches didn't have trouble. I wonder if there is a lesson here, that staying close to the trunk of the tree helps keep you stronger and safer. That sounds like an analogy for church doctrine. Don't go out on the far branches of the trees and stick to the core principles of the gospel, like our Savior, and you will be stronger and safer. (There's no reason to debate whether chocolate is against the word of wisdom anyway!)
It's been a strange week because your brothers have testing every morning and classes in the afternoon. Jacob was begging to stay home from his classes, which I don't understand. Why do the kids take the whole day off? It's a regular class day, just less periods. I opted him out of PARCC but I made him go to class. David took the ACT on Tuesday morning. We will see how he did on the ACT in a few weeks. Tuesday night I went to a preparedness Relief Society thing. They showed this video that some lady did and she was saying "I can fit all the food I could eat in a year under a twin bed." Lol. She's like 5'4" and a skinny 98 pounds. Has she ever seen how much a teen boy can eat? That's like a month's worth. No zombie apocalypse fighting skills were taught, so slightly disappointed there. I kept thinking of the Under the Dome show. It's ridiculous. They supposedly have generators powered by propane, but they sit around with all the lights on full blast, never worrying about conversing. Everyone's pigging out at the diner every day. Rationing people! Haven't you heard of it?! Oh well, a work of fiction.
Today is Wednesday and another long day at work. The snow is melting like mad, and there are rivers everywhere. Our back lawn is like a lake. It's really strange to see bright green grass under the white snow. Tonight at YW/YM we had a four square tournament. David couldn't make it due to the play's dress rehearsal, put there were a lot of other kids there. Jacob struggled and then argued about getting called out. He had to go sit alone for a while to compose himself. Gabriel tried to run away with Tate and I had to chase him back. Many older kids were there, and the priest's square was pretty rowdy and excited. Every once in awhile they would blow a whistle and whoever was in the top square got candy.
Thursday, the boys had time off from school. They only had 8th period and so I let them stay home. I had to work part of the day because I wasn't working Friday so I needed the hours. I strong-armed Jacob into doing some more on his Eagle project. He has the proposal complete and just needs to chat with Frank Yang.
Friday was David's 17th birthday! Andrew strolled in at 8:30 am and the dog went crazy barking. Apparently he thought his little brother was here. I told him Gabriel couldn't go skateboarding until later because it was David' birthday, so of course he went upstairs and jumped on David's bed. Then Audrey came by to surprise David with his present. She gave him a beach towel and two tickets to Waterworld. I thought that was a really cute idea. Then we had crepes. Jacob left to go on a shooting activity with James Miller and the teacher's quorum. Bro Miller told me later that Jacob was a good shot. Gabriel went to the skate park and Dad came home and took David to lunch later. That night David went to the play and we all went to see him. He did a great job. The main guy was really good, Matt Rudolph,
Saturday the boys had a basketball game that was lousy and they lost. Dad and I went for a walk and then we watched Under the Dome with David. He left for the play and we took the younger two boys to the Garlic Knot. Then Gabriel went to his friend's to watch a movie and we watched The Man from Uncle, which is an old school spy show. David did his play and went to Red Robin afterwards with the cast. They sang happy birthday and he got a free sundae.
Our chicks have been moved to a framed pen in the backyard. We still think Rey is a rooster but have yet to hear a definitive crow. We are doing some planning for the family vacations this summer, and trying to find a new job for David that is closer to home. Church was nice today, as usual, and it was nice to get back to a routine, since last week it got snowed out and the week before was conference. Bro Jones gave a talk today and it was great as usual. He talked about his work on identity theft and how we can gain a new identity as followers of Christ the right way. Some great catch-phrases like "Forsake it until you make it."
*Stay tuned, dear readers, for the next installment of my letter to Ben!
No comments:
Post a Comment