We are sabbath breakers and maybe that's where the problem lies. We just got home from the Murray Reunion and it hasn't been a good day. The reunion went Sunday to Sunday so we haven't attended church for two weeks. I am feeling the spiritual lameness.
So last year, Paul's parents asked us where we wanted to go for the reunion. We named a few places. For whatever reason, none of his siblings wanted to go to our picks, so we ended up in Escondido, CA again. Paul's family was great and it was good to see them. The weather was terrible. It was freezing (well ok then, 60's or 70's, cloudy and windy) every day we went to the beach. We had 2 good hours. We went to Legoland, which was good but again, we were freezing the whole time. We had only packed t-shirts and shorts and had to steal warmer clothes from Amanda. Paul threw his neck out the first day, developed nausea on day three and rampant diareeha on day four. Two boys ran fevers on day six. All of us got sun burned due to crappy sunblock on one part of our bodies or another. But the boys had a great time playing with their cousins, and I got to do some little girl hair. The joy! Then today we came home.
I hate flying. I get airsick and spend at least part of the trip fighting off vomiting. I took pills this time, which was better, but being stuck in a tight area with four very noisy, energetic boys is my idea of hell. Plus, both Paul and I seem to be super self conscious of the annoyance of others, so we sit on pins and needles worrying about our boys' behavior the whole time. I heard "shut-up" from Paul to the two middle boys so many times it was starting to hurt. By the end of the flight, I wanted to run but we had to sit on the tarmac for 20 minutes waiting for the flight in front of us to leave. We eventually got to the very full shuttle, jumped in the car, paid more for parking, and then listened to kids fight all the way home.
So then I'm planning and sabbath day shopping for the Fourth. We bought fireworks, which Paul was totally ticked about. He didn't want to waste any more money, and I have to agree it about as close to burning money as well, burning money to buy fireworks. He had some words at the fireworks tent, we went home, everyone was sad, I went shopping again and made dinner and ice cream. I also cried quite a bit in there somewhere. So we got to the fireworks show over by town center, Paul is finally perking up and here comes the wind. The hail had already decimated my plants and this gardner was not a happy camper. Then another storm blows in while we are waiting, it pours and they cancel the show. We debate about doing our fireworks at home and just after we start, it's pouring again. We give up. Weather sucks.
So I'm putting kids to bed and Jacob has lost his carry-on, though he claims it's in the house. He has his baby blankets in it, and they are very special to him, but I've had it. I totally lose it and I'm calling him stupid and a dumb little boy and all manner of horrific names, and not only have I had a totally awful day, now I'm a bad mother to boot. The child goes to bed bed with no blankies. I go to bed with guilt. So I write this tonight the clear up the air. Tomorrow I will apologize profusely to my poor son, try to clean the house and look for the lost blankets some more, and generally try harder. Today was a terrible, awful, no-good, very bad day.
I promise to write a much happier upbeat account of the reunion with pictures soon.
Oh, Debbie, that was quite the bad day. Last time we were on an airplane, we received many dirty looks. Not my cup of tea either. Did you ever find the blankets?
ReplyDeleteYes, we finally found the blankets. He had put the bag on his closet shelf and forgotten. We saw the fireworks show the next night and we had a much better day.
ReplyDeleteI was lucky on the flight there only because there was some ladies dog whining the whole way. Since when are dogs considered a carry on item? I think of them as kick balls anyway.
ReplyDelete