Monday, September 26, 2016

September 19th

Hi Ben,

I started writing a letter to you, and it has mysteriously disappeared. Did I send it? I know I didn't save it and it doesn't show up in my sent email. I don't have this many problems writing any other human being but you, ya know. So I look like a total noob. Now I have to rewrite the letter, so I am having the old "Joseph Smith and the lost 116 pages" problem, which is that I might have inaccurate or misaligned information from the original letter. What's a mom to do? 

I will recap the beginning of the week quickly and move on to more exciting matters. First off, I had better get a full health report from you. How is your sinus infection? Should we keep praying for that? How are your eyes, and what was the problem there? It sounds like you living conditions are pretty nice, so hopefully you will recover well. I still can't believe you like you own cooking, but I think that's awesome. Gabriel would like to request that you send some  of your recipes so he can try them. Monday was a regular workday, but also the beginning of homecoming week at TRHS. The first day was career day, which is really crappy. David dressed normally, but occasionally put on the old Batman mask and told people he was Bruce Wayne. Weirdo. Jacob did nothing. Tuesday was beach bum or ski bum day. Jacob went full out on the beach bum and looked pretty great. He wore Dad's pink Hawaiian shirt, a wife beater, his swimsuit, a white shell necklace, and Dad's sweet new straw hat. David went beach bum as well, and wore the always-useful Hulk shirt, a wife beater, and a surfboard necklace. That night I went to a Relief Society party at the Skidmore's. The theme was western and I was so close to actually dressing western, but I went conservative in the end and it's a good thing I did because no one else dressed up. I talked to a lot of ladies, and got mistaken for Cathy Emmelkamp once again by a newer lady in the ward. Lol.

Wednesday I went visiting teaching and then went into work for half the day, to make up for the day off on Friday. My back has been hurting so bad lately, did I tell you? I think I did. Anyway, Jane brought me this back massager that's miraculous. Even after sitting for hour hours, I felt great. It's kinda hard to use it on the couch at home though.Wednesday's dress up for homecoming was whatever the class theme was, which means David was the future and Jacob was medieval. Jacob wore nothing cool despite our home being overloaded with sweet yeoman style costumes, because he said he had to change three times and it wasn't worth it. David ordered the sweetest metallic pants from China. They are very bright and very tight. All the labels are in Chinese. He wore those along with a black and silver shirt of Dad's. (Dad's closet is like a never ending treasure trove, isn't it?). That night was the powderpuff game, and your own brother David Murray sang the national anthem to a stadium full of people. It was acapella and he had to stand in the booth. We were super proud of him! He did a great job. That is such a brave thing to do!

Thursday was field day, and tragedy struck. During the assembly, right before David was supposed to lead the senior cheer, and the wonderful metallic pants split right up the bum. So he ran back to his seminar to get his shorts and so he missed the whole cheer. Poor Dave. He didn't seem upset at all though. It seems like he thought it was really funny. Which it is. So the amazing silver pants had one day of glory, and now he gets his money back (Thanks amazon prime!).

Friday was our day off. I got to sleep in until 8:00. Whoo hoo! I decided to go on a hike I saw at Hildebrand Ranch. The sign said 3.7 miles. That was a mistake. Big fields of grass, an appalling wind, and the trailer guide was off - it was 5 miles! That's not the worst of it though. Blaze got attacked! We were walking along and some guy with a big chow is up ahead. I dread having to pass him up because he is slow but he stops so I figure he's seen me. I get close to go around and his dog spots Blaze and I, and he lunches right at us! Blaze tries to bark and growl and I'm yelling 'Get your dog" and everything is happening so fast. I realize the dude is NOT holding the dog's leash anymore, or maybe never was, and I'm back pedaling trying to get Blaze away. I see his dog has Blaze around the throat and I'm screaming "Get him! He's biting my dog!" and then I trip over a big boulder hidden in the grass and go rolling backward down the hill, head over heels. The guy is scrambling and finally gest his dog tackled. I pull Blaze to me (I still have the leash even after rolling down the hill) and check him out. I ask the guy if he is ok, as he is kind of an older guy, maybe late 60's, and he says yes. He tells me he didn't even see me because he was on his phone! So I get up and give them a wide berth and we go on our way, and I am totally shaken and Blaze probably feels it to, not that you can tell. There are two big blessings in this story. The first is that Blaze is perfectly fine. The dog had him by the neck but Blaze has a totally fluffy ruff, so the chow isn't able to bite through it. That's the whole reason for the fluffy ruff, incidentally, to keep sheepdog's safe from wolves. Blessing number two is that I had put my water bottle, which is kinda big and totally filled up, in my backpack's main pocket. So when I am rolling backwards over boulders it cushions my fall and I'm not hurt either. Thank heavens for blessings, eh? The moral of the story is that the Hildebrand trail totally sucks and the next time I come close to some dude on his phone with a dog I am going to call out loudly to let him know I'm there. 

The next day is Saturday. I go to Jacob's game and he plays every offense play the whole game because it's kinda close. In the end, they won Rock Canyon, but I forget the score. Sorry! Next we go to Dad's softball tourney at Clement and get free food because it's sponsored by Centurylink. Then I got home and Dave gets mad at me for awhile because he's nervous about homecoming, and then I go style some girl's hair (I met her mom working at the snack bar at Shea, lol) and I got paid $40! Then I go take pictures of David, and skip out on Women's conference because I'm so tired. I will watch it online very soon, because I love the talks. Today is Sunday and I taught the Beehives a good lesson on honesty. Do they eat a lot of apples in Brazil? The Brazilian elder sat in front of us and was challenging David to bear his testimony and Dave said "I will if you will" and so David went up and then Elder Beck did. I wish you could meet him. I bet you would really like him.

Love, Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment