Tuesday, August 30, 2016

August 22 - Return of the Librarian

Our Colorado life, as told to my missionary son:

"Hi Ben,

Ok, so you saw the biggest house in Brazil. Did they feed you? What I really want to know about, is your new house. How's the new place? Describe it please. 

I will now tell you about the past week, which was kind of boring, but oh well, you love the boring details of our lives. Right?! Sure. Anyway, Jane was out last week. Her knee was injured and she went to the doctor, and he told her she had to rest it for a week. So Gigi asked if I could take the library on Wednesday and Thursday, which of course I did. Unfortunately, nobody wanted a sub job for the library, because it's kind of hard, so I ended up letting the sub take my nice, easy Leadership and Lego class, while I went back and taught library all week. Let me tell you, it was an eye opener and no mistake Mr. Frodo. I really like what I am doing in L & L! First off, the space is much smaller, the kids sit at tables, and they have a focused task. They don't run around yelling like a bunch of geese at a biscuit chucking competition. Plus there is virtually no maintenance in my class, because the kids pick up the Legos themselves. And they are all totally excited to be there, because all of the kids love to play with Legos. I have a little motto: Obey to play, so they have to keep their yaps shut while I talk about making good life choices and such. We have actually had some great discussions in there. 

I had to shelve so many books this week! Plus the kids keep dumping the books everywhere instead of using their shelf markers and putting them where they belong. I felt obligated to make everything really nice for Jane since her knee will probably be really sore still when she gets back. I did a few special projects for her as well, like sorting lanyards (they tangle like earbuds the minute you turn your head). Gigi walked through a couple of times, obviously coming at the precious moment when a portion of the class seemed to loose their minds and starting yelling like yodelers at a Swedish mountain festival. So she was chewing kids out at random. I had to haul some 1st grader to the office for chucking Jenga blocks at some kid's head, then grabbing another classmate and making him punch himself. Good times. The long and the short of it is, I have come to develop a very healthy appreciate for being a cheesy specials teacher, and I love it! I look forward to the rest of the year!

Since I worked all week, I didn't do too many other things. Let's see . . . Monday a lot of people in our family participated in some kind of sports practice and I went to Back to School night at TRHS. I enjoyed myself, as I always do, because I think learning is exciting! Your brothers have some great teachers this year. I saw a million people I know, of course. Tuesday, Dad served in the temple and I went grocery shopping. The excitement! Wednesday I went to meet the Grizzlies. I wasn't too surprised that I know probably 80% of the kids in Jacob's year. I don't know many Juniors, but I know a lot of kids from the Senior class too. Apparently it is all the rage to have huge, fluffy amounts of hair among the football players, so Jacob is incredibly stylish. He hasn't had a haircut since you saw him on Mother's day. It's massive. He gets really mad when we drive, because he always puts down the visor to check himself out in the mirror, and with the visor down and his hair, it's nearly impossible to see any light coming through the side window, much less a car coming. To keep the great similes coming, his hair is like fountain somebody dumped a bottle of dish detergent in - it's just keeps bubbling higher as time goes on. Thursday I went to bear my testimony about temple work at a Relief Society meeting. We played a temple trivia game that Brittany Skidmore put together and we all did very poorly at and had to win by argument and pity points. Sister Phillips made a dessert she called "self-saucing pudding cake" which was basically that chocolate molten lava cake I make. Loved the name. Finally Friday arrived. Hooray!! The last day of work for the week! As I left the school, I texted Dad "Debbie is freeeeeee!" which is an obvious nod to Dobbie. Saturday, I went to Gabriel's football game, where they did very poorly. The boys hung out with friends that night, which included David making water balloons then driving with some friends to Target to chuck them at Jacob who was standing outside chatting with friends. Jacob enjoyed this attention very much. No really, he did. When your older brother care enough to go out of his way to make balloons, gather companions, and lug them at your head, you feel the love. 

Today I went to Ward Council at 7:30, church at 9:00 where I taught YW's and helped run opening exercises, came home and the home teachers came, worked on scouting for your brothers, made cookies for BYD, went to a meeting about the mini-MTC, had dinner, and attended BYD. So a relaxing day as always, lol. That's okay, it's all good work. I am a very blessed person. I like to be busy and I have lots to help with! A fresh new week lies ahead, with hopefully a (longer!) letter from my Ben, and lot of good things to do. Life is good. I love you Ben!!! Have a great week!

Love, 
Mom"

No comments:

Post a Comment