Monday, August 1, 2016

July 25th - Zion Family Reunion

Here is a summary of the Murray Family Reunion, as told to Ben:

We have been at the Zion Ponderosa for a few days now. I told you about things up through Sunday, so I will continue from that point. Monday morning we left early (but not as early as our family wanted to, lol) and headed up to Zion National Park. We went through some tunnels and saw some amazingly beautiful rocks and vistas. We parked then got in a very long line and got on a shuttle. It reminded me of Disneyland in the summer! The park was totally crowded. We took the shuttle to one of the 9 stops and got off on the Emerald Pools hike. It was a series of three pools, but knowing what I know now, I should have stopped at the first pool.

\
There was some spectacular shady cliff faces and a small waterfall. It got very dry and dusty up near the top and the last pool was not impressive. The boys were calling it the diarrhea pool, which was sadly accurate because of the brown floating algae. Unfortunately when you live in a place as beautiful as Colorado, and you have done hikes like the Hanging Lake hike, you become harder to impress! We went back down from the pools, got some over priced ice cream that was delicious and headed to the another stop called the Riverwalk. I had all our water stuff in the car so we could hike the Narrows.. We were supposed to go back to the cars for lunch, then the younger families would leave and we would do the hike. Well, no one wanted to go back because it was too far and hot and they all jumped in the river in whatever they were hiking in. I was really bugged because I had on my new hiking boots and didn't want to ruin them. Eventually, I decided if I missed this opportunity, I would be a really awful person to be around, so I took off my socks, put the boots back on, and hiked the Narrows by myself. Your dad had already left with Matt and Amanda so I saw them coming back. Honestly though, I didn't mind being alone. I was in a much better mood when I returned. The rest of the family had discovered a water hole to jump in, and when I came back I jumped right in fully clothed,  much to the surprise of your brothers. 



Tuesday we got up and left for an hour horseback ride. It was great! I love horses. Dad got a half Clydesdale named Buddy. I got a horse named Secret, because when this company bought her mother, they didn't say that she was pregnant, so she was a surprise foal. I think your brothers enjoyed their first horse experience. Afterwards they played mini-golf, swam in the pool, and then went ATV - ing. Dad and David came back soooo dirty, but they had a great time.



 Wednesday morning we got up really early at 5:30 am and got ready to go hike Angel's Landing. Amanda and Skyler came with us and we got to Zion's National Park early and caught a shuttle to the stop. It was much less crowded and a lot cooler. We started hiking up and man, it was tough! Angel's Landing is a super scary hike that has sheer cliffs on either side. I guess some people have died falling off and now they have chains to hold on to. We went up about a million switchbacks. The total hike was 5.4 miles. I wasn't going to go all the way out on the highest part, but then I saw Gabe going and about freaked out. I didn't want to let him go by himself and so I followed him with Amanda. He was so far ahead I never caught up, but at one point I saw him near Dad so I stopped worrying. I made it to the top and Dad and the boys were pretty surprised to see Amanda and I coming over the rim. We took pictures and I was very glad to start back down. We did the whole hike in 2 1/2 hours which is a good pace. You would have hated the hike, because of the heights, but I feel like you would have pushed yourself to do it anyway.




After the hike we went to St. George to see Dad's aunt Deanna. She has cancer and has lost a ton of weight. Then we went to a community rec center place and swam. We ate pizza at Costco afterwards and headed home to the ponderosa. 

Thursday morning a bunch of the kids did paintball. It was excruciatingly warm out and everyone had to wear these coveralls. I didn't participate, because I'm not nuts. Sierra came out early and was standing by Amanda and I because she did not like getting hit hard. After awhile, Amanda left and Matt came out of the game because he was out of paintballs.



Sierra said she felt weird and at first I thought she was being a wimp, but then I noticed that her eyes were dilated and that she was super pale. Matt was carrying her into the shade and I was taking off her overalls and she passed out. She kind of curled up and I thought she was having a seizure! Matt was pretty scared and he gave her a priesthood blessing then and there. She came back around as soon as he was done. Thank heavens for priesthood power! I made her lay down flat and was pouring water on her. I was asking the kid working the area and they had no medical help at all at Zion's Ponderosa. No nurses, EMTs, nothing. How dumb! This place is waaaay out in the middle of nowhere!  Dad came out of the game then and the kid came back with a golf cart and they got her up to the lodge. She chilled for the rest of the day. David and Jacob sat on either side of her to keep her "entertained". Poor girl, they were probably annoying her to death, since David kept shouting out "Drink Sierra!" and random intervals, because she was supposed to be drinking Gatorade. That night Rich, Bruce, and Leona left early to go to Jeff's court date the next day. They had to testify on Jeff's behalf. 

Friday morning we cleaned up and left for home. On the way we stopped at Bryce Canyon National Park, which I loved. It had a lot more trees and was cooler. It had some beautiful rock formations. We stopped at a series of lookouts and Dad and I loved it. Your bros complained a lot. I would like to camp there sometime. We made it home in pretty good time.




We continue to have many missionary farewells. We enjoyed out Sabbath day and the school year is approaching. Here is an actual quote that I said today "Use your brain to be funny, not your butt." Classic. We love you and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment