Sunday, June 12, 2016

June 6th - Gentry Family Reunion

Here is the letter I sent to Ben, telling all about the Gentry reunion in Oceanside, California to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. 

You have been in my thoughts this week of course, but I think I say that every week, don't I? I am writing this all at once, which is harder I think, because I forget things, but here goes. Monday we went to Universal Studios. It is a long drive from our condos, about 2 hours and the traffic was crappy. There was the bit of typical Murray frenzy, with everyone wanting to hurry and make the most of our time. Right when we were parking get this - just a few spaces down, Dave goes "Hey there's Nate!" And there are the Skidmores. We walked in for a bit, because it takes place along a bit outdoor mall called City Walk. It's got all the best stores but it looked expensive to me. We made it through the main gates and they tie your annual pass with your fingerprint. We split with the Skidmores and headed off to the lower level where we rode Transformers, the Mummy, and Jurassic Park. The rides are super big - they are mostly 3D motion rides. Then we went back to our car for lunch. Afterwards we headed to a show called Waterworld which was actually pretty awesome. There were lots of explosions, fireworks, jet skis, and the best part was a plane that jumped this big wall into the arena . The people in the splash zone were definitely splashed! We tried the Minons ride, with Gabriel protesting mightily the whole way, and Shrek 4D which was kinda weak. We then headed in the Harry Potter world, or Hogsmeade. We bought butterbeers, which were the highlight of the area for me. They taste like slushy cream soda with a butterscotch twist and a creamy topper. Most of the place was shops. The building were really well done and the castle was certainly cool looking. We rode the Hippogriff ride was was so quick I barely remember it. We stayed until the very end. Becky, Alexi, and Shari were there but we didn't see them a ton. We did eat dinner together and we ordered The Great Feast from the Three Broomsticks. It was actually delicious, or maybe we were just starving, or maybe both. It had a big salad (Chuck G style), ribs, a chicken leg and thigh, roasted carrots and broccoli, corn on the cob, and sliced potatoes. 

Me and a goober I found at Universal. Love that guy!

Tuesday we messed around a bit then went to the beach. We borrowed wet suits and boogie boarded for a while. Most of the family left early because it was cold and the wind was blowing a bit.  We had tacos that night, along with ice cream and cake and presented the grandparents with a sweet canvas print. I think I told you about it . Wednesday we all went to Universal Studios. Grandma didn't feel well so she  didn't come. It's really a park for older kids anyway. We wore the tie dye shirts I made, which you bros were really excited about, you can imagine. It did make it easier to find each other. We were more relaxed because the park really isn't that big. We saw some more shows but very first thing that day we went on the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey a bunch of times, because we discovered the single rider line. It was pretty cool inside and really neat for Harry Potter fans. We bought some souvenirs like key chains. I got a chocolate frog. The drive home was long. I am reminded why we will never, ever move to Southern California. The traffic sucks!

Me with my sweet reunion tee, in front of Hogwarts.


Thursday we went to the beach again. We played a lot of games in the morning. David was frustrated because he was playing with a lot of little kids. That night there was a bit of excitement. Tammy texted me about 10:30 pm and asked if I felt a tremor. I was like "No Tam, there's no earthquake, so chill". That night about 1:05 am, I woke up and was like what the crap Paul, hurry and get into bed already what is taking so long? So I reached over to give him a whack and make him hurry up and no Paul was there. I thought "Wow, we are having an earthquake!" So the next morning I woke up and thought, oh that Tammy, she made me dream we were having an earthquake. Then I walked out to the kitchen and Becky goes "So did you feel the earthquake?" It was real! I asked Tammy's kids if they felt it and they slept through it. Their whole life they wait to experience a natural disaster and the sleep through it. The let down. 

Friday we played games for a bit then we ate lunch and went to do baptisms for the dead. The drive to the temple - you guessed it - sucked. The temple was very, very beautiful. I love the light around the temple. So the Murray's are up to 95 ordinances this summer. 


We went to dinner at some taco place that all the locals think is the bomb. Then Saturday the reunion was over and everyone packed up and it was done. I was actually pretty sad. We had a great time, everyone got along, and it was over too early. The condo was great, with all kinds of great amenities. They had everything we needed. We have moved over to Amanda's now. Yesterday we went to see a beach with a bunch of seals. Very stinky but it was interesting.

We went to church this morning and it was a missionary homecoming. He had some real great stories. They don't ride bikes or use cars there either, they have to use public transportation. They don't knock doors, they just have to talk to people in the streets. He said sometimes the sun comes up at 3 am. He talked about the power of the Book of Mormon, it's role as witness of Jesus Christ, and it's power to convert. I know you are doing the right thing, and we are so happy for the good work you are doing. We love you so much! 

We are still on Oceanside, so the adventure continues . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment