Friday, June 7, 2013

And the summer begins!

It's that most cherished time of year again - summertime! I love summer. Long, lazy days of relaxing while reading thrilling books and sipping lemonade . . . which never actually happens but it's a beautiful dream, is it not?

At any rate, while our summers are almost as busy as regular life, things just seem easier in the summertime. Mostly because we don't have to put on shoes and coats every time we leave the house. Flip-flops people. Lesser shoe construction is all it takes to make my life happier.

Jacob has moved on from elementary school and he's graduating to middle school. He won the Art Award for Coyote Creek. Go Jacob! We are really excited for him.


As I look ahead to summer, I have some goals. Last year we made the summer bucket list. I took out a white bucket and we all wrote ideas for fun family activities on clothespins and pinned them around the outside of the bucket. As we accomplished our goals, we dropped the pin in the bucket. It was really fun. This year I will probably do something similar. What I am really thinking about though is the every day stuff. I do not want my kids sitting on Minecraft for hours a day all summer. There are a few categories I want to concentrate on: reading, writing, math facts, cooking, cleaning, and exercise. So basically academics + life skills. But it's summertime, and I want the kids to have fun! As I ponder what I want them to accomplish I will be looking around to see what will be fun as well. I am using my blog to get my thoughts organized. It's a work in progress for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment