Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Mother-Son Campout

Here's a little known fact - if you have a bum load of boys around the house, and they are all scouts, your hubby is the one who gets to go on the campouts. Even if he's not too fond of camping and whines a lot about it. So not fair! So a few years ago I instigated the not-really-annual excursion known as the Mother-Son Campout. Paul inevitably travels some time during the summer, so while he is away, I take some or all of the boys up to the Golden Gate Canyon State Park. We camp on campsite #97 at Reverend's Ridge. It's a quick hour drive from the house and we haven't run into a fire ban yet!

The park itself is very beautiful. I feel quite blessed to live so close to such magnificent scenery. The campground is nice, with clean bathrooms. Flush toilets! Not negotiable! I generally take things easy and try not to go overboard on the preparations. Simple meals and lots of fire is all we need. Here's a few things you don't want to forget though:

* Marshmellows roasters.
*  Enough knives. Sharing is never fun when the only guy with the pocketknife can't stand his brothers to touch his stuff. Yea, I'm looking at you Jacob.
* Games! Seriously, how could I forget this one.
* Tylenol PM. I like to think I want to be absolutely lucid should any midnight surprises occur, but all I truly want is to sleep. And Nervous Deb does not a good sleeper make.
* At least one responsible child. I may cancel the Mother-Son when Ben leaves home. Also? He's very good in the role of intimidating thug child. Keeps the family safe.

Now for the items you may as well leave at home:

*Clean underwear. Haven't ever seen it come out of the backpacks yet.
*Hormonal teens. Kinda defeats the purpose though, so good luck with that one.

We always stop at the Visitor's Center on the way home. They have some super big fish in a pond you can't fish in. Plus they have this stuffed guy. He's marmot-y.

 
 
We like to take a group shot before we head down the hill for Slurpees.
 


I love this bunch of dudes. It seems like any family trip has it's share of fights and arguing, but in the end we have a great time together. That's what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment