Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Palmyra New York Family Vacation 2015

Paul's parents are serving a mission in the Palmyra New York Temple. After consideration, we decided it would be a great time to go visit them along with my parents. With Ben just about to leave on his mission, David a priest, Jacob a teacher, and Gabriel getting closer to recieving the priesthood, we thought it would be a very appropriate time. Thanks to my parents and Paul's for contributing to the travel funds!

We left for Palmyra on July 8th. We had one stop on our flight in Chicago, then continuted on to Rochester, New York. We were going to rent two cars but after seeing that one car was a huge suburban, we decided to share with my parents. It was great! It made traveling much easier. We checked into our condo on Lake Canandaigua around 1 am. Yuck!

The next day it rained all day. That was fine with us - we were all exhausted! We went grocery shopping, got situated in our new place, and went out to dinner with Paul's parents at a local diner called the Yellow Mills Diner. The next day, we visited the Sacred Grove and the Joseph Smith farm. What an amazing experience. It was so very peaceful! Everything was quite beautiful, very calm, and quiet. I loved it! Paths wander throughout the woods, since they don't know the exact spot where Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith. People are allowed to walk wherever their feet take them. Gabriel had fun catching teeny frogs. I really liked seeing the Joseph Smith farm. It was a beautiful place. David mentioned he thought that Joseph was able to do all that he did because of the support he got from his family. I really like that thought.

These two guys are bit too tall for olde-timey cabins!

The Sacred Grove frog


The next day we saw an outdoor market at Penn Yan, ate sandwiches at a Amish store called Sauder's, and drove to the David Whitmer Farm. It was really cool to see the farm!. There is so much church history in that area, it's an enriching experience. 

Later we came back to our condo and visited the beach on Lake Canandaigua. We did some canoeing. It was beautiful and had a nice little beach with smooth sand.



The whole group in front of the Whitmer Farm.

That night we visited the Hill Cumorah Visitors Center and saw the pageant. The set was massive! It went all the way up the hillside. The actors were walking all over in their costumes, making conversations with people. I talked to a lady from Colorado Springs. It made us want to be in the pageant next year. The music and theatrics were very good. Especially the devastation of the promised land scene!

David is surprised by the prophet Joseph Smith, who appears to be giving him the stink eye.
On Sunday we went to Sacrament meeting, then on to Niagara Falls. My mom has always wanted to see it, and I felt like quite the world traveler! We rode the Maid of the Mist and took lots of pictures. That night we had a bbq and I got to fulfill a lifelong dream - I saw fireflies! They are so cool! They blink off and on in a random slow pattern. I loved it!

The blue rain jackets were so swag.


Monday we got up really early and went to the Palmyra temple. We did baptisms for the dead. It was awesome to see Ben, David, Jacob, and Paul all in the temple together. I loved it! Then we did a session with my parents, Paul's parents, Rich, Amanda, Joe, Ben, and I. I was so wonderful. The temple was beautiful and I especially liked the tree theme that went throughout. The stained glass in the Celestial Room is amazing. There is a clear window that looks out directly over the Sacred Grove. We went to lunch afterwards at the Chill and Grill and then to the Sacred Grove for a testimony meeting. Jacob is the same age that Joseph was. Gabriel bore his testimony for the first time in the Sacred Grove. We went to Richard's condo afterwards for dinner, then we set off for home.

Everything was really far apart in New York, but I am so, so glad we made the trip! It was a once in a lifetime chance to experience that with our kids. The church history there was so inspiring. I love the gospel so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment