I need to remind myself of the following fact: my favorite holiday is Mother's Day. Typically, when asked this question, I would have said Christmas or Hallowen, but today I had an ephiphany. Mother's Day rocks! All other holidays, while fun, require a huge amount of work for me. On Mother's Day, I do nothing. Nothing! I sit on the couch. I read the paper. I sit around some more. See the pattern here? It's actually relaxing. What other day of the year do I recieve accolades for all the work I do, and all the love I give out? Paul takes such good care of me. He gets the kids ready for church. He makes breakfast, lunch and dinner. He cleans up. He buys me flowers and gifts. My children give me sweet, wonderful cards that I will save for years to come. I love Mother's Day!
Take today for instance. Paul made cinnamon rolls and juice for breakfast. We got the kids ready for church (I helped a little today because Paul had a killer day yesterday with the youth auction). After church, Ben made lunch for everyone. Paul had purchased 2 dozen roses for me and got me the ultimate mom gift. I saw this really fancy folding chair at Costco. It's like a backpack for easy carrying across parking lots and huge fields. It unfolds with a canopy on top to shelter mom for long periods while watching her many sons playing sports. Canopy = no sunburns, wrinkles or faded hair. And he got it for me - awesome! Then Paul took a nap while I read Fablehaven to the kids in a make-shift tarp tent out in the backyard. Then Paul made chicken, rice, biscuits and peas for dinner. Then he whipped up some brownies while I took a walk to the park with the kids.
Yep. I love Mother's Day. But most of all, I love the people in my life that made motherhood possible, my husband and four beautiful sons.
No comments:
Post a Comment