We have returned home from a long trip to Utah for Christmas. It had some great moments. The weather was perfect on the drive there. The kids did a nativity scene Christmas Eve. Grandma tapping the little sheep Gabe in the bum with a big stick was an awesome shephard moment. David was Joseph and Jacob was one of the 3 kings. Ben was another king with a totally sweet turban he got off Grandma. A full house with tons of laughing kids running around was joyful. The young couple across the street that we stayed with were super nice and it worked out perfectly. The beds were really comfortable!
Even when 4 out of 6 of us shared an all-night vomit fest, their bathroom rug was stylish and clean.
Ok, I really didn't mean to turn snarky here, but every family get together has it's downside if it lasts too long. We got 2 illnesses, 4 of us got a terrible stomach flu and 2 of us got a nasty cold/flu bug. Luckily Shane and Rachel (the people we stayed with) had let us take over their basement, so we had several nice leather couches, a big TV, and a roomy basement family area to recuperate in.
On the way home we found I-80 closed due to high winds and an 11 car pile-up, so we partied for New Year's Eve in the Rawlins, WY Holiday Inn Express. It was pretty fun. We had party food consisting of chips and Powerade and watched Paul Blart, Mall Cop. It was a nice room and we got free breakfast in the morning. The drive home was uneventful but we did see about 5 semi-trucks blown over. The winds were bad but we are low to the ground and really weighted down.
So now the New Year is upon us. We are eating bananas, toast, applesauce and Sprite. The boys are enjoying their Christmas presents and video games again. It's nice to be back to our own, comfortable home.
Goals for the new year? Well . . . I want to figure out a better exercise routine. Include more fruits, vegetables, and healthy foods in our everyday diet, which I did last year to fairly satisfying effect. Stay close to the Spirit and my Savior Jesus Christ. Rely on Him, trust in Him. I really like the scripture from Joshua chapter 1 verse 9: "Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee, withersoever thou goest." It has helped me a lot lately when I am feeling anxious. The Lord has blessed me and my family with many tender mercies this past year. I know He loves me and will be with me, no matter what trials I face. I really like the quote - His gospel is not insurance against adversity, it is a resource to deal with it.
I hope for a happy new year. And by the way, remember my birthday wish from my last post? I got it. Things are certainly looking up.
No comments:
Post a Comment