The hills around Colorado remind me of that Sting song today. We have had a long six weeks without rain and very hot temperatures. Well, hot for Colorado anyway, which means in the 90's. Since it is so dry here the long prairie grasses have been changed to tall golden straws, waving in the breeze. It would look like winter were it not for the green in the trees still. Usually by this time in September, cooler temps have set in and the leaves are starting to change into their vibrant fall colors. Not so this year. The trees all look a little crispy, and I suspect the leaves will just topple off with no color at all. I try to tell myself that I am glad the warmer temperatures are still here, because soon enough if will be freezing, dreary winter, but I really like fall. I like the the clothes, the holidays, and the food. The food! I want stews and soups and chili and to be able to turn on the oven without roasting us out the house! I want long jeans and sweaters. I want the Halloween costumes to be done.
Anyway, to "live in the moment" I dragged my three boys out into the great outdoors today. Paul and Ben were elsewhere all afternoon, so I researched some sweet letterboxes and off we went. David protested mightily. He's known to do that kind of thing. I got lost a lot on the way there. I'm known to do that kind of thing. But we found the 2 letterboxes and best of all, sticks! As David merrily loped along, swatting dry bushes with his large stick, I asked him "Dude, do you really hate hiking?" He said "I'm kind of like Gabriel and Harry Potter. I pretend to hate it but I miss it when I don't get it." This is all very cryptic. You see, my youngest son pretends to hate reading chapter books. Yet, if I start reading while he is in the bathroom brushing his teeth, much crying ensues. David likes to moan a lot about hiking, but really he likes it.
Ben said something funny to me the other day. He said "Mom, you know how you don't like us to watch too much violence because we'll become jaded? Well I'm jaded to nature Mom. I've had too much exposure." What a punk. Paul and I are excessively fond of dragging our boys out the door. Nature is the rightful place for a boy. Loudness, rampant energy, even aggression are all less intrusive when a boy is outside. Plus we live in Colorado! People come from all over the world to see the beauties that lie outside our doorstep. We love the natural wonders here. I find it relaxes me, brings me peace, helps me to feel centered. I like to think I was a dryad in another life. I am fond of actually hugging trees. Do you know ponderosa pines smell like butterscotch or cookies? We have quite a few here (ponderosa pines that is, not cookies). I have been looking for a chance to see if the leaves are changing, so today I took it. The aspens have just begun to turn yellow. Mmmm . . . I will have to plan an excursion again the next week or two and look for mountains of gold.
No comments:
Post a Comment